Friday, October 24, 2014

Review: St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Green Tea Scrub

St Ives Blackhead Clearing
What do I like about this scrub?
  • Price: I bought this in Guardian since they are having an introductory 10% offer and I paid only SGD13 for a 170g tube. Considering the amount of products you get, I think it is very affordable. 
  • It contains 100% natural exfoliants. It is also sulfate-free, paraben free, hypoallergenic and Non-comedogenic.
  • Texture: You can see how it looks like in the photo below. It is a green cream that contains exfoliants that looks like fine salt. I like that the finer texture of the scrub since I think those smaller particles will be less hash to skin. I have used St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control in the past but I like the texture of the exfoliants used in this scrub much more than the classic St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control because it is much finer and cause less irritation to skin when scrubbing it again my face.
  • The exfoliants look like fine salt to me!
  • Cleaning and Exfoliating: It feels gentle to the skin and yet clean my face well. I would say that it does a good job as a facial scrub as I realized that my face become brighter and smoother after using this scrub! I think the effect become more obvious partly because I didn't exfoliate my face this week yet. 
  • Can be used daily: While other facial scrubs can only be used once a week, the instruction behind the tube suggested starting using the scrub once a day and gradually increase the number of application to two or three times a day. I think this is due to the gentleness of the exfoliants used. 
  • Contains Salicyclic Acid (1%): Most products for acne-prone skins contain salicyclic acid. Salicylic acid is a deep pore exfoliant which encourages pores to soften and push the gunk out to the surface. 
What do I like less about this scrub?
  • Cause little dryness: My skin feel a bit dry after using the scrub so I had to apply facial lotion immediately after that. I think the drying effect comes from the salicyclic acid. I recommend applying facial mask after using this scrub as it makes your skin easier to absorb other products.   
  • It claims to (1) Clears Blackheads and (2) Calms Redness. While my nose feel cleaner after using the scrub, I have yet to see any effect on clearing the stubborn blackheads on my nose. While it brightens my skin, the calming effect is not so obvious. However, it didn't cause any breakout to my acne-prone skin so far and it also didn't irritate the pimple in my skin. UPDATE: I recently tried to use it as a mask by spreading a thicker layer of this scrub and leaving it on for 15-20minutes since most St Ives scrub can be used as mask. I think the calming effect is more obvious especially after pimple extraction. It also helps to dry out my big pimple this way.
Would I buy it again?
I think using facial scrub at least once a week is a must. Since this is quite affordable, I will considering buy this scrub again. I also saw other flavours of facial scrubs by St Ives, including an oatmeal scrub+mask that looks quite appealing to me so I may even choose another flavour next time.