Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Extending Life of Cut Roses

I recently received the following rose bouquet as a gift. While I do like gifts (as most girls like flowers), I often feel sad when my roses die too fast. I know it is inevitable considering the hot and humid weather in Singapore. I found a simple to extend the shell life of cut roses.
Here is how my nicely wrapped pink roses looked like on the first day

However, after three days of letting the roses sitting happily in the original wrapping paper, all of the roses looks rather deadly. So, I decided to trim my roses on the third day's morning.

Here is what I did:
  1. Remove the roses from its plastic wrap.
  2. Gently peel off some rose petals that are decaying or almost detached from its rose buds.
  3. Put all rose in a simple vase made from mineral water bottle
  4. Add clear water to the vase. Note that I also left the peeled petals in the vase to make them look more appealing.

This shows how my roses looked in the morning after performing the above steps
As you can see from the photo above, most roses become visibly smaller due to the trimmed petals . Some of the roses look down sadly indicating that they are decay soon. :(

This shows how my roses look like on the same evening after the cutting
My roses are definitely starting to look more energizing and fresh. In less than 12 hours, the stems of most roses in the photos went from curling down lifelessly to curling up happily! Isn't that amazing?


After re-arranging my roses, I took more photos of my revived roses. With the new arrangement, I think the roses look much better than before. :)
  
This shows how they look like after the new arrangement

This shows how they look like after the new arrangement